UNLIA Webinar Series
UNLIA Webinar Series #3
‘Addressing data protection and privacy concerns on design and implementation of legal identity system’
The UN Legal Identity Agenda (UNLIA) is an initiative established at the request of the DSG where 16 UN agencies are working as ‘One-UN’ to achieve SDG 16.9 ‘Legal identity for all, including birth registration’ by 2030. Although everyone has the right to be recognized as a person before the law, hundreds of millions of people still lack legal identity. To address this challenge, the UNLIA Task Force was set up in 2018 and 16 UN agencies are working collectively to support Member States to adopt a comprehensive, holistic, inclusive, and country-owned birth to death to civil registration, vital statistics, and identity management system.
Since 2018, the member agencies of UNLIA TF have produced a number of critical policy frameworks and guidelines to support UNCTs to implement the UN Legal Identity Agenda. However, those policy frameworks are still not sufficiently translated into the country programming. Therefore, there is an acute need to reach out to UNCTs and build capacities of staff members of UN agencies on the ground.
Since April 2023, UNLIA TF started a monthly webinar series, and the theme of this month is data protection and privacy based on the UNDP Guide: Drafting Data Protection Legislation: A Study of Regional which UNDP launched in March 2023 in partnership with Centre for Communication Governance, National Law University Delhi.
- Ensure that the global policy framework and guidelines are translated into the country programming on legal identity
- Facilitate the exchanges of good practices among UNCTs with ongoing legal identity projects
- Identify some entry points for UNCTs which are planning to initiate a new legal identity project
- Guide the UNCTs to the relevant knowledge products and focal points to solicit technical assistance from the global UNLIA team
Overview of the First Webinar
Time and Date: 27th June 8:00-9:30
Topic: ‘Addressing data protection and privacy concerns on design and implementation of legal identity system‘
As the third session of the UNLIA webinar series, this webinar addresses how to mitigate data protection and privacy risks at the design, deployment and implementation of legal identity project. Particularly as the digitalization of legal identity system is getting traction, a comprehensive legal framework and its implementation is critical to protect human rights. The webinar shall feature the recently launched UNDP guide on legislating data protection and privacy law, and feature some of the good practices from UNDP COs. This webinar also features a guest speaker, Pam Dixon from World Privacy Forum who make recommendations on how UN can play bigger role in ensuring data protection and privacy.
Registration Link: https://undp.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-4jPR5d8QR6w_KCHIFGzkQ
Objectives of the first webinar
- Enhance capacity of UNCTs and relevant practitioners to advise to the governments on how to draft data protection and privacy law based on international standards
- Promote understanding among UNCTs and relevant practitioners on the importance of working on data protection and privacy prior to the implementation of the comprehensive legal identity project
- Identify some entry points for UNCTs and relevant practitioners to work on data protection and privacy by showcasing some of the good practicesAgenda
Topic and Speaker
Presentation on ‘Legislative Guide: Data protection and privacy’
Speaker: Jhalak Mrignayani Kakkar, Executive Director, Visiting Professor, Centre for Communication Governance, National Law University Delhi
Speaker: Aishwarya Giridhar, Project Manager, Centre for Communication Governance, National Law University Delhi
Sharing Lessons Learned from UNCTs
Speaker: Azhar Saeed Malik, Project Manager, UNDP Malawi
Alessandra Rossi, Chief Technical Advisor, UNDP Honduras
Comments ‘What can UN do more?’
Speaker: Pam Dixon, Executive Director, World Privacy Forum
Q&A and Discussion